Thursday, 22 March 2018

Injury time

My plan to tell you more about our visit to Sewing Quarter
HQ in Birmingham has had t be put on hold. Over the
weekend we had more snow and on Monday morning
our boiler stopped working. In an effort to get it working
again, I tried defrosting the condenser waste pipe in case
that had frozen. Unfortunately on around the 7th trip out of
the back door the snow and ice got me. I ended up falling
badly and hitting my head on the doorstep.

I probably had a mild concussion, I was left very upset for the
rest of the day. I kept bursting into tears which I hate doing.
Yesterday (Tuesday) I was in agony with my legs where I had
fallen very hard onto patio slabs. Today (Wednesday) I am still
quite sore but I am having to sort the house out as we
(fingers crossed) are having a plumber out to look at the boiler.
We've been given the run around by two plumbers, countless
others are apologising as they just can’t get to us as obviously
the cold weather has sparked lots of boilers to misbehave
and this is on top of their normal work load.

We are lucky in the fact we live in a small house so a little
halogen heater is making the world of difference and we have
an electric shower so we aren’t reliant on the boiler to wash. It’s
just a massive pain in the arse and just another thing for my
anxiety to take hold of and keep me awake for hours.
The fall has left me feeling very vulnerable, I could have
knocked myself unconscious and no one would have known
I was there. I hadn’t even taken my mobile phone as I was
going 4 steps from the back door. I am still really sore and
just fed up with it all. Hence why I can’t give you a decent
post which would follow up on our visit. Hopefully next week,
if things have gone a little smoother…..for a change.


Carleen said...

Sorry to hear about your fall. It is unnerving for sure. I had a very similiar situation letting our dogs out the back off some steps a few years ago. I fell and had no one there, no phone, and a heck of a time getting up off the ice to get back inside. Now, I carry my phone with me everywhere. Hope you can rest and heal up quickly. Glad you have that halogen heat too.

Rachel Morris-McGee said...

Hi Carleen,
Thank you for leaving a comment.

Sorry to hear that you had an accident very similar to mine. I am ok now I was sore for a few days but it has eased off now. Unfortunately though it triggered a massive surge in my anxiety and I kept bursting into tears all the time. I ended up having to call the doctor and have some diazepam prescribed (to calm me down) and an increase in the tablets to help me sleep. Thankfully I am feeling slightly calmer than I have done in a long time. My sleep is better too. As the doctor said to me one bereavement will knock a person sideways so to have suffered 4 in such a short space of time it is no wonder you need some help.

Thankfully we now have heating and hot water. The heat pump had seized and the waste pipe had frozen. If the dogs hadn't woken me up when they did on Monday morning when the boiler was making awful noises we would have been looking at having to replace the boiler. So thank you doggies!

Hope you are ok Carleen?

Many thanks
Rachel x