Thursday 15 November 2018

Balancing Act neck pain v embroidery machine

In last weeks blog post I told you all about my new toy, my embroidery machine. I've had it for 9 days (Tuesday) and I was very well-behaved last week. I had a quick play on Tuesday and then knuckled down to finishing off a whole heap of half-finished projects. I really dislike having incomplete work loitering and taking up space. Last week I had part made soft toys hanging around - the body parts of 15 toys to be exact and some part made Christmas stockings, along with three gnomes. I did have a really good crack at them and managed to clear all the owls, gnomes, Christmas stockings and two foxes. However one of the foxes still has his brains *stuffing* exposed as my hands have been too painful to attempt to close the turning gap. My hands are so sore this evening I am having to write my blog post using my speech to text function, which is fun!

My neck has at times been horrifically painful. Now I know how easy it is to exaggerate pain. People bandy around the word agony at the drop of a hat but still manage to get on with day-to-day living. When I say agony I mean no painkillers are touching it, my rib cage feels like it's collapsing inwards, I want to puke and I can't move very much. It isn't like this all the time thank goodness but it can start within seconds of sitting at a table or doing anything that involves lifting my arms away from my sides. The only thing that helps is putting on my soft collar and heat. The problem with heat though is that it will trigger a hot flush or can make me feel faint. I've found that when it's at its worst diazepam helps as it tends to trigger muscle spasms. As does gin but I don't like drinking every day and I have to keep it to the bare minimum.

I thought the embroidery machine maybe a way of being creative without triggering the neck pain...I was wrong. Sitting in any chair where my back is not properly supported, is a massive trigger. I don't tend to get the pain when sat on the sofa because I am not sat bolt upright. I am now waking up with the pain during the night, which means whilst sleeping something is slipping out of alignment. When this happens the only thing I can do is put my soft collar on for a few hours and hope that its enough to work as along with the neck pain I get a thumping headache. I do thankfully have a doctors appointment at the end of this month. I must have blood tests next week as the doctor was concerned that I possibly have vitamin deficiencies which are causing the pins and needles in my arms / hands / legs and face. However as a soft collar gets rid of all my problems I'd hazard a guess that my neck is unstable and this is the problem. Quite common in people with EDS but a nightmare to get diagnosed in the UK.

I had to limit my sewing to just short bursts with lots of breaks. Which meant I didn't feel very productive at all during the week. I did manage to wait until Sunday before I played on my embroidery machine again.

Saturday my neck and back was awful so I spent the afternoon looking on my chromebook for free embroidery patterns. I downloaded quite a few. I also found on Etsy two really lovely Unicorn patterns. One cost me a whopping 87p! and the other £1.50. I was so proud of myself using my USB port adaptor as my new chromebook has a micro USB port, ( I've had to upgrade my chromebook as my mark one chromebook can't transfer data between a USB stick and the chromebook or vice versa. It can read them you just can't do anything with it, not very good when you have an embroidery machine that you can use downloaded patterns on). So on Sunday I decided I would give the USB stick a go on my embroidery machine. To my delight the patterns showed up straight away. I had been panicking that maybe I would have to format the USB sticks for them to be used by the embroidery machine but it all worked fine.

I decided I would try out the Unicorn patterns on some face cloths that I had bought as a job lot from Amazon. I already had some Madeira Avalon Film wash away stabiliser, so it was just a case of setting up the hoop - face cloth then stabiliser laid on top to stop the stitches sinking into the pile. Then place it in the hoop ensuring its wrinkle free and as taut as possible. This took me several attempts, purely as I just wasn't feeling very confident with what I had done. The first one I messed up as I managed to sew the top right hand corner of the washcloth to the back of the design. I had to cut it out of the hoop! Apparently this is a common mistake so I didn't feel so bad. The second one however came out perfectly.


I also managed to centre it on the wash cloth perfectly.



I did the second one later on in the day. When I started it I hadn't realised there were 21 thread changes. The first Unicorn had been 10, so a massive difference. I loved the small details of the flowers and leaves which you can't really see in the photo. Again I managed to centre this one properly as well. So these will be Christmas gifts. The stabiliser washes away. I cut off the excess as I will be able to use that on small bits of embroidery and then put both flannels in lukewarm water where it just vanishes. I put them both in the washing machine to ensure all traces of stabiliser had gone.


On Monday afternoon I had a quick play as I fancied seeing what the redwork would look like. 


It's not a good photo and to be honest I am not happy with it. The tension is out or I have threaded the machine poorly as bobbin fill has come to the surface so there are lots of little white dots all throughout the redwork. Mr Myasthenia Kid wants to frame it and take it into work for his noticeboard. So I will cut it down and run a zig zag stitch around the edge so it doesn't fray.

Today I had a go at this Christmas Wreath. The wreath came out beautifully but the "Merry Christmas" has come out terribly. Again either the tension was off or I had threaded the machine poorly. It's all  a learning process. I have spent a bit of time this evening looking through the manual and found out lots of things I should have known!



I am really enjoying using the machine and learning all about it. The patterns it comes loaded with are really stunning. It's only the unicorns that I have bought and a dear friend on instagram lent me some USB sticks with lots of designs on to copy.

So if I can get a balance between my neck pain and time that I can use my machines I will be happy!

2 comments:

Carleen said...

Great unicorns and a lovely start to Christmas. 🙂

Can you take low dose Flexeril? Or steroid shot for your neck?

Thanks for the soft collar idea. I have problems with my c3-6.

The Myasthenia Kid said...

Hi Carleen,

Thank you for your lovely comments. I am waiting to see my gp who will probably send me for an x-ray first and probably physio which will do sweet FA about the level of pain I am in. Its just so slow moving here especially when you are in a lot of pain. Some thing needs done because it is so painful.

I need to find the radiologists report from a few years ago that states I have reversed cervical lordosis. Hopefully that will speed things along.

The soft collar definitely helps as it stretches it out again which I presume is taking the pressure off the nerve roots. When it is bad it hurts from the base of my skull to the middle of my spine where your bra fastening sits. I can't lift my arms or stand up straight, its feels like my spine has collapsed. So I am now using the soft collar for a few hours everyday .

Hope you can sort out your neck problem.

Love
Rach xx