Thursday 12 April 2018

My latest sewing projects

My mood is very up and down at the moment, the only thing that is keeping me
sane and happy is my sewing. I am grateful that I still manage to find the joy
in putting fabrics together for projects and making magic. To me sewing is a
magical art in which I can lose myself. I am amazed at the things I create
especially when you consider I celebrated my 6 month sewing anniversary
on 7th April.


As I am all over the place I thought I would share with you some of my makes
from the last few weeks. I can’t remember what I shared with you last - my
memory is a bit dodgy from the new medications making me a little groggy
in the mornings.


I bought myself a new sewing machine a Janome Atelier 5 - I love it. Yes it was
expensive but it was bought with money I had inherited. I also worked out that
if I banked the money from not smoking for the next 14 months it would also
have paid for it. It is the best thing I have done, it is an absolute bloody work
horse and oh my days making quilts has been so much easier.





I managed to hurt my back getting the beast (which is what I have
nicknamed it )  through the house. So after setting it up I just sat and stroked
it for about an hour. However I soon got to grips with it and used it to sew the
binding onto to my first ever quilt.





I quickly started on a new quilt, which was another quilt as you go, which
was a Rolling Stone design. I wanted to get this sewn / finished reasonably
quickly as we were having new sofas delivered and I wanted a quilt for each
sofa.





I managed to get quite a bit done but I didn’t complete it until after the sofas
arrived. I was about two days out. As you can see Mollie and Frankie
absolutely adore the new sofas





I also in between making the quilt and the sofas being delivered I made
6 baby bibs, for my friend Pam (who sadly passed away in January) whose
daughter who had given birth to a beautiful daughter. I had promised Pam
before she passed away that I would make something for the baby.
The bibs were finished with Kam Snaps that were adjustable so will fit the
baby for a while.




I managed to finish my Rolling Stone quilt towards the end of last week
and I was very pleased with how it turned out. There are still a few mistakes
in it but it is a vast improvement on the first quilt I made.







My next project has been something I have never done before which is
foundation paper piecing. I have always been a little daunted by FPP but
no longer! I have been making a pouffe for the lounge so that instead of Mr
Myasthenia Kid putting his feet on the coffee table he can put his feet up on
a pouffe. I am still working on it as I am waiting for some zips to arrive so that
I can put a zip into the bottom of it so that the cover can be washed (with two
mutts and Jay in the house things need to be washable). I have made a stuffed
inner out of some stuffing I have had hanging around for a while and two bags
full of fabric off cuts that I have collected over the last few weeks. I have also
made a covered button to put on the top in the middle just to finish it off.













Over the next few days I will finish the pouffe and hopefully remember to
post a photo on my blog. If I don’t it will be on my instagram account
@rachelmorrismcgee or on my facebook page https://www.facebook.com/themyastheniakid.

I finished late yesterday afternoon....



2 comments:

Carleen said...

Beautiful creations! You are on a roll. Glad you are using smokes money to enjoy your talents even more. Lovely ❤️

The Myasthenia Kid said...

Hi Carleen,

Great to hear from you! Thank you for reading my blog and leaving a comment, it is so kind of you.

Giving up smoking has lead me to develop a very expensive fabric habit! But at least that is better for me. This week I have started an English paper piecing quilt which will be a long term project. I am using all the scraps from my previous projects to make this quilt for Jays room.

Thanks again for reading and taking the time to leave a comment.

Rach xx