Thursday 14 June 2018

Even Weirder

If last week was a weird week I haven’t got a clue what this one should
be called! I had more vertigo, a migraine from hell, so bad that
Mr Myasthenia Kid had to take the day off from work to look after me -
more about that later and I can’t share any of my sewing makes over
the last few days as they are all birthday presents for friends between
23rd June and the end of August. A little frustrating when I am so pleased
with all of them, The good news is that my sewing job list on my phone for
the months of May and June have reduced dramatically!

As I wrote in my last blog post I attended a course last Wednesday regarding
how to use my overlocker. I was so excited about the course and I hate to say
it but it was a real let down. It was everything a teaching session shouldn’t be.
In a previous lifetime (1996-2005) I held the position of Training Manager at my
place of employment. I was responsible for all the training that took place for
the 350 plus staff we employed at the time. Not only that I was also sent to
various other locations throughout the south-west to teach other Training
Managers (they were also sent to work with me to get an understanding
of their role) and to teach staff for new store openings. I loved the job and
I am not afraid to say that I was bloody good at it. It broke my heart when
head office in its wisdom decided to get rid of the role. Training quality
immediately plummeted - in my workplace. I have been sorely tempted over
the last few years to do a freedom of information request to see how many
court cases they have had since removing the Training Manager role.

So with nearly ten years of teaching under my belt, I know that people have
varied learning styles. Some learn by watching something and then having a
go, some people learn by reading a manual and some people learn by a mixture
of those two. Unfortunately the course seemed to be mainly the us the students
sat at our machine with the trainer talking at us. So bored was I that I actually
got my phone out and started to look at Facebook - discreetly. I didn’t want to
be rude but I had to do something to keep myself awake as the stairs getting
up to the classroom had nearly killed me. Oxygen was almost required - this
was not suitable for the disabled sewist. I was in agony at the end of the day.

The course had been billed as getting to know your machine - I’d had mine
since 13th April so rather than being terrified I had dived straight in. It became
clear talking to the other 7 pupils ( excluding my mum, yes 9 people to one
tutor how on earth could all of us see anything when she demonstrated at
a machine?) that they had never even opened the boxes that their overlockers
had come in, that possibly mum and I were too advanced for this course.
I obviously wound the tutor up when after she dramatically cut all 4 threads
on my overlocker and asked me to re-thread it and I had it done in less than
5 minutes. She told me off for using my machine when I was checking that
it was chaining (working properly). She didn’t realise that I had threaded it
and actually knew a little about what I was doing. The course went downhill
from there.

Three people's machines broke during the day and not once did the tutor
offer any support, instead there were sarcastic comments dressed up as
imparting information that certain brands of machines were basically crap
and  It concerned me that someone who claimed to know so much about
brands was unaware that Elna and Janome are the same company. One
lady went downstairs and bought a new machine but still this woman ploughed
on and didn’t recap with the lady what she had missed. The same happened
when my mum's machine broke.

By the end of the day I could barely maintain a civil composure, I was threading
my mums machine to ensure that she had a working machine when we
left the course - thankfully her machine was repaired there and then by the
shop owners - I can’t fault them at all. I love their shop and they have always
been lovely which is why I am not naming the location of the class as I wouldn’t
want to damage their reputation, when this was someone who obviously comes
in and works for them. The teacher was demanding yet again mum and I stand
in front of a machine that we wouldn’t have a clear view of - when both of us
have mobility issues which were obvious due to the mobility aids we were using.
I practically hissed that I was beyond tired as was my mother and having
a working machine before leaving the shop was slightly more important
than looking at the backs of people’s heads. I then let her look at the
back of mine as I got on with threading mum's machine -
something the tutor should have done when she was told mum was
having issues seeing properly due to the light coming in
through the window.

All I can say is thank fuck I didn’t pay full price for that class. I still feel ripped
off knowing I paid £27 for it. I will be honest yes I learned some bits and
pieces but not £27 worth.

Thursday was a complete right off as at 2am I woke up with a migraine, it was
hideous. I couldn’t stop being sick and by the time Jamie found me lying in the
dark at 9am I could barely speak. By 2pm I was starting to come around but
I was just completely drained. However my back would not put up with me
lying in bed any longer so I forced myself downstairs.

I was wiped out by the migraine for a good couple of days but I did get some
sewing done. I managed to make a start on my floating triangle quilt, so the week
wasn’t a complete right off. I have started taking pizotifen again
in the hope that it prevents more migraines in the future or if not
it at least reduces the intensity. I can’t cope with that again nothing stops
the pain or the sickness.

My quilt pieces, this is as far as I have got as the rest of my time has been
taken up making birthday presents,











Now all that is left to do is join them all together
 in the right order!

No comments: